Supporting women with training and employment opportunities – Victoria University Polytechnic
8 October 2020
VU Polytechnic and WomenCan Australia are supporting women to learn new skills and find paid employment through the Placement Circle Pilot Program. Eligible participants will train to become a care worker by undertaking the Certificate III in Individual Support and through access to peer support and industry placements. Starting at the end of October 2020, this course can be completed in just seven months.
How it works
When a woman joins the pilot program, she will become a member of The Placement Circle. This is a free membership for all women, where every participant helps other women to succeed. Women help each other with their studies and return to work, and then the new participant will help the next round of women with their journey.
About the Placement Circle Pilot Program
VU Polytechnic is running a pilot to ensure the programs meet the needs of participants with the key objective being sustainable and meaningful employment for the participants. WomenCan and The Placement Circle are working with women to help them gain vocational qualifications, meaningful employment, links to financial literacy training and create a supportive community of women.
Participants will access
- subsidised vocational training (delivered by VU Polytechnic in Footscray)
- study skills and academic support
- a peer supported program where they can connect and get support from other women who are in similar circumstances
- female only classes
- clinical placements in real workplaces, with genuine employment opportunities
- local study and placements in their area.