HigherEd and TAFE
If you are a student who thinks an academic pathway is not for you, and a degree is not accessible to you, because perhaps you feel you think differently then a higher education degree at a TAFE or dual sector university may be just for you. Coming from a background that may be a bit different, or thinking in a non-academic way, makes your contribution upon graduation even more important because you will be providing a different but valued view.
Initial research undertaken by Australian universities, in collaboration with universities internationally, suggests amongst a range of positive outcomes that:
- Degrees at TAFE are oriented to industry needs and prepare students for employment in specific occupations, often in new areas of para-professional work;
- Degrees at TAFE provide distinctive learning environments built on experiential and practical pedagogies facilitated by small cohorts and small class sizes;
- Students’ reasons for selecting higher education at TAFE stress the student experience and learning style, alongside identifying the relevance of the degree for their chosen field of employment;
- Designers of individual TAFE degrees are able to be highly responsive to the needs of industries and employers; and
- Higher education in non-university providers, such as TAFEs, and in universities are subject to the same quality standards as set by the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency.
TAFE Directors Australia look forward to the final research findings, gathered from the data collection, in the Springer Brief book to be published in early 2021.