New international student data and COVID19 impacts – National Centre for Vocational Education Research
28 April 2021
The NCVER’s report, International onshore VET qualification completer outcomes 2020, summarises the outcomes of international students who completed their VET qualification in Australia in 2019.
- 69.0% of international onshore qualification completers undertook training for employment-related reasons, 26.7% for personal reasons and 4.2% for further study reasons
- The main reason for training reported in 2020 was to ‘develop or start my own business’, up 3.2 percentage points from 2019. To ‘get a job’ decreased by 4.5 percentage points from 2019.
- 87.7% achieved their main reason for training, down 1.1 percentage points from 2019.
- 53.7% had an improved employment status after training, down 4.0 percentage points from 2019.
- Of those who were employed after training, 68.3% had their hours reduced after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 83.7% were satisfied with the overall quality of training, down 0.8 percentage points from 2019.
International onshore VET qualification completer outcomes 2020 report .